Författare Ämne: Arkeologer  (läst 2500 gånger)

Utloggad bce

• Novis
  • Antal inlägg: 2
Arkeologer
« skrivet: april 21, 2009, 14:00 »
First of all I’m writing in English since I’m Norwegian and I think you will understand me better this way. Please feel free to answer in Swedish if you want to. I’ve been living there for some time, so that’s no problem for me.

I am not an archeologist myself, so I maybe there will be some “stupid” questions, and also some can be hard to answer, but assumptions is perfect to as long as you have something that supports what you are stating!
I'm writing a paper about archeology and am going to write about the use of surface examination (in my case air photo from both satellites and cameras attached to planes/helicopters etc). In this case there are some things I need to know.
* First of all I am going to try and find out how many archeologists there are worldwide. I know it is “impossible” to know exact, but if someone has some assumptions I would appreciate those. Wikipedia “tells” that there are 600 archeologists in Sweden. Do you have any other numbers? If not worldwide, maybe different countries, etc. Or maybe you know any web-pages which can tell me this?
* Second, the growth of archeologists. Again Wikipedia tells that there is a growing interest within this field. Anyone who can understate this assumption with some numbers or anything? How much is it growing? Or is this wrong, please tell me?
* Third, in which countries are the most active archeologists? Are there any countries which is known as the “archeology country (-s)”? I’m thinking if there are 600 archeologists in Sweden, which is just 0.00000667% of the Swedish population.(9mill/600) Maybe some other countries has closer to 1%? I have NO idea, I’m just curious.
* Fourth, who is using air photos? I know that “Sametinget” orders satellite photos when they are going to examine the surface. Others? Example: If I had a camera which could help you to examine the surface, who would buy this product? Because of the price (1mill SEK) I’m thinking universities and bigger companies/consultants working with archeology and which is ordering a lot of pictures. If they own a camera they are not dependant on the wheatear and they could save money in the long run. I’ve heard that a single satellite picture costs like 80.000SEK. So 13-15pictures and you have “saved” the cost of the product!

Hope this was understandable and that you can help me! If you can’t help me on all four things, I appreciate that you answer one or two - everything is helpful!
If something is hard to understand- please ask me for further explanation.

I will appreciate all help I can get!!!
Andreas

Utloggad Reuterdahl

• Veteran
  • Antal inlägg: 796
  • Arkeolog, Länsstyrelsen i Östergötlands län
    • Testimony of the spade
SV: Arkeologer
« Svar #1 skrivet: april 21, 2009, 16:21 »
Tänkte svara snabbt på några av dina frågor; innan du tittar på hur många arkeologer det finns måste du definiera vad du menar med arkeologer; yrkesverksamma, fast anställda, visstidsanställda, säsongsanställda, disputerade, med en arkeologisk examen e.d.

Därefter kan du säkert hitta information via universiteten (antal disputerade de sista 10 åren/ antal examina e.d.) eller kontakta olika företag och fråga hur många fast anställda kontra säsongsanställda de har. Du kommer att märka att det kan skilja sig rejält från år till år beroende på hur stora infrastrukturella satsningar som görs.

Hur många som är arkeologer beror med andra ord på hur och vem du frågar.

Huruvida intresset ökar eller inte beror nog på vem du frågar; man kan titta på antal studenter, antal publicerade artiklar i dagspressen e.d. Svaret kommer i slutändan bli ganska oprecist och snarare bygga på om du kan identifiera trender kontra felkällor; t ex beror en ökning på studenter på ökad arbetslös eller ökat intresse, på att man tror att utbildningen är enkel kontra intresse etc.

Flygfoton och satellitfoton används ofta i samband med inventeringar och utredningar/förundersökningar av olika slag, t ex av lännsstyrelser, läns museer, Riksantikvarieämbetet samt vissa privata företag. Bilderna är inte särskilt dyra att köpa utan kostar från några hundra upp till några tusenlappar beroende på om man måste producera dem själv (t ex flygfoton) eller om man kan köpa dem av andra myndigheter tex ifrån Lantmäteriet, Skogsvårdstyrelsen m fl. Det är många som  tar foton i samband med olika inventeringar för miljö, viltvård, skogsproduktion, etc. vilket gör att det finns flera källor att handla ifrån.

Kanske inte svar med något

Magnus Reuterdahl
Archaeology is taxes well spent!